Sunday, November 5, 2006

True Confessions: "The cobblers' children...


... have no shoes". We've all heard this saying. It's so true for so many professions, including my own. Well, more specifically, me. People always say to me "you must have a beautiful house". My answer is yes, but... What I really have is a home filled with half finished projects. It takes me forever to finish what I start. I appear to have a high tolerance for the incomplete. It took me a year to finish the border in my bedroom.

A friend asked how I could stand it. Well... I don't really notice it on a daily basis. But, the truth is, once I actually finished my bedroom, I was thrilled!! Especially on the days I make my bed - but that's a different confession...

So... the point of this is that I need help. While I'm totally finish-line driven when it comes to my clients' projects, I neglect my own. And my biggest current unfinished project is a 4-wall mural in my foyer and stair well. I've been working on this for over 3 years, could be 4, I've lost track. In truth, it was a big project to take on - especially for someone who is afraid of heights and doesn't like 3 foot step ladders, let alone 30' extension nightmares. So, I've had the help of kind friend with ladders and no fears. And still, unfinished.

I'm about half way done, I would guess. My theme is "The Secret Garden", one of my favorite childhood books. I have a painted hedge, stone wall, wrought iron fencing, blue sky and clouds. Plus, there will be a trompe l'oeil doorway that opens into the secret garden. Very ambitious, very unfinished...


This was the newly started project. Obviously, something was needed!


What would we do without our friends!


A little progress (this photo is at least 2 years old!) The current status is the photo at the top of this post, as taken today. Some progress, but nothing to shout about. I plan on documenting my progress on this blog as a way of embarrassing myself into finishing. So, please feel free to post, or email, your words of support, encouragement and criticism. I can take it! I need it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com