OK, so we've now met the 9 design contestants on season 3 of Design Star. No eliminations tonight. I'm not a huge fan of the "road to" episodes on reality tv. I'd prefer they'd just jump in and start. So, tonight's epi was a teaser. The only surprise was that the mystery 9th contestant, Stephanie Cook, selected by online poll, was revealed.I guess the other surprise - certainly to the contestants - was that instead of just decorating their digs for the season (a la last season), they have to actually build the house. And until they do, it's camping out in the elements for them. I'd be bumming, no question. They certainly seem to have upped the ante this season. There is clearly an emphasis on building skills. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The fact is - it is good to know generally how things are constructed (from buildings to furniture to window treatments), but does actual hands-on skill make a better designer? I would venture to guess - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - that Dorothy Draper and Sister Parish to Charlotte Moss and Kelly Wearstler never spent a lot of quality time with the power tools. And from the looks on some of the designers faces - neither have they.
Their first challenge - build their house in 1 week for with $100,000. Interestingly, one of the auditioneers was a producer on Extreme Home Makeover, so she probably wouldn't have been overwhelmed as much - but she didn't make the final cut.
So, any early favorites? Or easier - anyone seem a bit weak?
Here's a viewers guide to help keep them all straight. Feel free to click on the pick and print. I'll update each week with who won, who lost and the epi name. It's the only way I can usually keep them all straight!


CLICK HERE TO READ ALL DESIGN STAR POSTS
0 comments:
Post a Comment