Sunday, July 20, 2008

Design Star 3 - The final three

This week, the final three contestants were tasked with doing a makeover in a room of a family member. That's a lot of pressure. I missed the beginning of the epi, so I don' t know what the time and budgets were.


Jennifer - Final 2

Before

After

After


Matt - Final 2

Before

After

After


Trish - Cancelled

Before
After

After

I thought Jennifer's room was the most successful - her hand painted walls were very pretty, she had a lot of great functional seating and her overall color palette was warm and inviting. Matt had the most difficult task of turning his mother's basement craft room into a craft/game room. He came up with some very interesting built pieces - such as a hidden room for Mom's kiln and the wall of drawers for her materials. The 4 leather chairs are huge and not the right seating to be used for a game table. The rug was nice. Trish's room looked better on television than it does in these photos, but, while an improvement over her parents original space, was pretty dull and completely unprofessional looking. I can't believe there was no comment made about the over pillow-ization on all the seating. It looked dated, it my opinion.

One thing I will say - shame on HGTV for not setting these folks up with real carpenters! They hamstring the contestants ability to actually do something interesting by not providing a professional level support staff - which is what designers work with in real life. Then the judges criticize them for not doing "design". This type of thing is a reason why this show seems so low-rent.

As for their on-air work - as I've said before, Jennifer is natural, much like Kim Myles; Matt is engaging although not energizing. While the judges love Trish and I do think she comes across as polished, I also think she's a bit brittle.

Trish was sent home and Matt and Jennifer are the final two.

What do you think?

Who will will Design Star?
Jennifer
Matt
pollcode.com free polls


Who do you want to win Design Star?
Jennifer
Matt
pollcode.com free polls

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com